Past Cases
Killed (2004-2008) (2)
9 November 2004: María José BRAVO, correspondent for the daily newspapers La Prensa and Diario Hoy, Juigalpa, Chontales province, to the southeast of Managua.

NICARAGUA – Maria Jose Bravo (el nuevo diario)Bravo (26) was shot dead while covering a recount of votes in Juigalpa, Chontales department, on 9 November 2004. She was shot at close range by former Constitutionalist Liberal Party (PLC) mayor Eugenio Hernández González. Supporters of the PLC and the Alliance for the Republic (APRE) coalition were involved in clashes over the results of the elections which had taken place on 7 November 2004. Bravo, who had reportedly received death threats prior to the attack, was apparently talking to people outside the centre when she was shot. She died before reaching hospital. Police arrested Hernández González close to the scene of the crime as he tried to make his escape.

[$1< The first hearing in the case took place on 17 November 2004. Proceedings were soon mired in controversy, with numerous different versions of events. As a result, the Prosecutor General announced that a special commission comprised of Public Affairs Ministry experts was being sent to Juigalpa to investigate the killing. On 26 January 2005, after a 20-hour trial, Hernández González was found guilty of premeditated murder and perjury with regards to the evidence against him and the testimonies of 18 individuals. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison. According to a report in La Prensa in March 2008, the Supreme Court was allegedly seeking to commute Hernández González' prison sentence. It was presumed that, motivated by political interests, the intention was to reduce the charge from murder to manslaughter, which would carry a lighter sentence and lead to Hernández González' early release. >1$]

14 August 2005: Rony Adolfo OLIVAS OLIVAS, correspondent for the newspaper La Prensa and President of the Union of Nicaraguan Journalists (UPN).

NICARAGUA – Rony Adolfo OLIVAS OLIVASOlivas was murdered in Estelí, 150 kilometres north of Managua, on 14 August 2005. Allegedly, a taxi driver identified as Santos Roberto Osegueda Palacios – who gave himself up to the authorities on 18 August 2005 – shot Olivas whilst the journalist was in his taxi. The journalist had received death threats on three occasions, immediately after a series of articles written for La Prensa which alleged links between wealthy individuals in Estelí and drug traffickers. It was believed that the murder may have been related to these threats. On 31 October 2005, Osgueda was sentenced to 25 years in prison.